Posted by Scott in
Chemo Round 5, on Wednesday, February 7. 2007 at
On Monday night, per my last post, (Day 3) Asher had his dose of Methotrexate. Shortly after midnight, he vomited 3 times. Nothing too bad, just some leftover french fries from his dinner. No vomiting or noticeable nausea since.
Throughout the day Tuesday (Day 4) Asher wasn't really interested in eating, and he sure wasn't interested in taking a nap. for the most part, he played HARD all day long. In the playroom 3 times, in the bed, etc.
We've started playing two new games at bedside that he can't get enough of. "Monster Fight" and "Thumb War". everyone probably knows what thumb war is... you know.. "1 2 3 4 I declare a thumb war" and then try to pin the other persons thumb with your thumb. The other one, is well, unique. Imagine if you played "Mercy" in junior high where you tried to cause pain to the other person by bending their fingers over after interlocking all of your fingers. Well, we don't do that, but instead just sort of push back and forth, with Asher occasionally being thrown into the down pillow on his bed. That part of it is really the whole point, except sometimes I let him win and push me back into the couch or "slamming" into the wall. It's quite entertaining for both of us.
So, Tuesday night, we drew his first methotrexate blood level and it was 3.5 which was a good number for 24 hours post dose. Asher has been getting a higher than normal dose of leuokovorin due to the toxicity of keeping methotrexate in his blood for as long as he had it in round 1 and round 3. He got 50mg instead of 10mg which is 5x the normal dose. We'll keep that dose going, and then depending on the 48 hour level (wed 8:30pm) he might lower the dose back down to normal.
Initially, we were looking to try and bring Asher home as soon as possible because he has been doing SOOO well there. With Steph sick, we'll be at the hospital at least to Monday (need to find out if that is PAST contagious point of the flu - one website says all symptoms have to be gone, approx. 7 days), and then if he's up to it with his counts being high enough (if they start to drop then he can't go home till they go back up over 250) and no fever due to the mucositis he probably will have, we'll go home until we're ready for transplant tests.
Asher really is a completely different boy than he was during the first three rounds. Everyone has noticed that he looks so much more mature, has grown 3 inches (Steph says it isn't 3", really a bit less than 2" in the last 9 months), and is so much fun! It's really a joy being there with him so far. Two of the infectious disease doctors from before even took a look at his head and commented about how awesome it looks. These are two of the guys that had never heard of that bacteria that he had (LONG TIME AGO in round 3). One of them had been doing this for 30 years!
Anyway, over the next couple of days, we'll just be expelling the methotrexate and getting tested to make sure he's holding up. Nothing weird at all except zofran q6 and leukovorin q6 unless we get a fever, or pain or something. We are stil unsure how we will handle the pain he will have from the mouth sores / GI tract sores. We used to request the morphine via PCA (continuous drip) and if he were to come home he can't have that. He'd have to be able to swallow methadone / oxycodone....We just have to wait and see.